I have loads of expired C-41 film which I have been shooting in various cameras mainly to test if the cameras I buy are working ok.
I have read on the web about all the different things that can be done when processing both B&W and colour films be it cross processing or caffenol type stuff and came across developing C-41 with standard B&W chemicals.
So I loaded up my T90 with some Boots 200 film that expired back in 2008 and went out for a walk.
I shot the film at box speed and processed it in Ilfotec HC for 10 minutes agitating 4 times every minute and then standard stop/fix/wash as per my normal B&W developing.
When the negs emerged from the tank my 1st thought was that there was nothing on the film as it looked totally black but when unrolled and held up to the light I saw there was something there albeit darker than what I usually see.Once dry the curl was horrendous and the scanning was hard work as the software could not identify the frames so I had to scan them individually but the epson software did a good job.I was very pleased with the scans even though the sharpness was not the best which is typical of most cheap expired films they often look slightly unsharp unlike Ektar.
I did slightly increase the contrast and pull down the highlights in Lightroom as the negs were pretty flat but the look they produced reminded me of Fomapan 100 with the glowing look to the images.
I think I may shoot more C-41 and process it this way maybe varying the exposure and developing times just to see what I get, obviously I am never going to get the quality of genuine B&W film but I like the unpredictability of this experiment.
I think I will try a roll or Ektar next so then at least I know how sharp the negs should be when processed normally.
Thanks for looking…..
I have a film only blog over at https://usingfilm.wordpress.com/
if you are interested in having a peek 🙂
I had 2 deliveries on Friday.
A Canon 50mm f1.4 FD from West Yorkshire Cameras which was such a bargain compared to the equivalent Nikon offering as I can use it on both my Film Canon SLR’s and also my Olympus EPL-1.
And another package was from Ilford customer services with a load of different Ilford films free of charge as they will be using 2 of my film images on their website in the near future to showcase HP5+.
Firstly I must say how over the moon I am with the lens, its twice the weight and build of my 50mm f1.8 which I was pleased with but the f1.4 is so damn sharp it hurts especially on the Olympus.
The DOF and Bokeh is lovely and on my Canon T90 the viewfinder is extremely bright and easy to focus.
I am so glad I bought this, I wasn’t sure if it would be this much better than the f1.8 version as it actually is.
I have never shot Ilford XP2 before so I wasn’t sure what to expect, sadly my C-41 chemistry is shot so the results were a bit mixed but I managed to get a few shots I was pleased with.
The negatives are very easy to scan and have a very smooth tone that suits the type of images I was shooting with shallow DOF but is also nice and contrasty when stopped down a bit.I also had some SFX200 and PanF 50 which I have not shot before either so I am looking forward to see what comes out.
Thanks for looking
Click on an image to view larger…………..
I have been developing my own B&W films for a while now and have experimented with various films and developers and have a good idea what I will get out of my negatives.
I have also been processing my colour films to but the results have been very inconsistant, I have noticed that the roll after processing varied from the start to the end, not drastically but there was a difference.
At first I put it down to my inexperience of C-41 processing but after reading up on the internet It seemed to point to the developing temperature varying slightly.
As I develop by hand and not with a processor I try to maintain the required 38 degrees C by placing the drum in warm water in-between inversions and maybe the outer frames of the film were at the proper temp while the inner frames were slightly under.
The Tetenal C-41 kit I use can also be used at 30 degrees C using different developing times which is a far easier temperature to maintain.
These shots are from the first roll of Fuji Superia 400 I tried using this method and from the first frame to the last the development was perfectly even.
No colour shift whatsoever, I was going to stop developing C-41 before I tried this but now I am happy with the results and will carry on.
Thanks for looking, comments most welcome
click on an image to view larger……….