Disaster or Happy accident? … 1st time shooting Rollei CR200

Last week I partook in a film swap with a twitter friend who had never shot my favorite colour negative film” Fuji Reala ” so I sent him some in return for some of his film one of which was a roll of Rollei CR200 colour reversal film in 120 format.

I have never shot this film before so I was intrigued to find out how it looked so I loaded up my Fuji GW690iii and visited my favourite tree and shot away.

I returned home and processed the film as normal in the Tetenal E6 kit and when they emerged out of the tank they seemed ok at 1st glance when I hung them to dry.

The only difference in my procedure was that I left it to dry overnight so when I went to scan it I was really confused as the colours were totally wrong, I immediately thought that I had my scanner settings wrong but after a few attempts with different settings nothing changed much or got even worse.

I dug out my lightbox and had a look at the film which instead of having the usual black rebate/frame it was purple.

I double checked the box that it was actually a reversal film incase I had got it wrong and obviously it was.

So to cut a long story short I have absolutely no idea what went wrong here … it does appear a bit like Solarization but no light got to the film while I was developing so I can only assume that the roll of film has had a very varied storage life.

So here are the images …. any comments welcomed …

After my initial shock and disappointment I actually really like the look and would love to be able to replicate it 🙂

Please click a photo to view larger

All images on my blog are available as prints just drop me an email

I also have a film only blog over at  usingfilm.wordpress.com if you want a peek 🙂



Fuji Sensia 200 expired and scanning twice …..

I am really slacking with my photography this year … so far I have only managed to shoot 8 rolls and 3 of them were for the #fp4party.

I know that equates to 1 per week but this ratio is pretty poor for me and my blogging is also behind.

So this week I am hoping to get at least 2 posts done just to catch up …. here is the 1st … A roll of Fuji Sensia 200 that expired back in 2004 that I shot on a pretty dull afternoon using the Olympus OM2s, Zuiko 50mm f1.4 and developed using the Tetenal E6.

After development and subsequent scanning using the Epson v500 all the images had a slight magenta cast and due to a nasty curl quite a few frames didn’t appear very sharp.

So after deciding on which frames that I liked I rescanned them using the Plustek Opticfilm 8100 and Silverfast 8 software which gave far better results especially the sharpness due to the better film holder which keeps the film so much flatter.

I am not really sure if the magenta cast was due to my dev going off or just the film itself but it was very easy to remove in Lightroom.

Anyway here is a selection from the roll … there are a few shots containing Daffodil’s (National flower of Wales) which are blooming nice and early this year also my Obligatory end of roll Peg shot 🙂


Please click a photo to view larger

All images on my blog are available as prints just drop me an email

I also have a film only blog over at  usingfilm.wordpress.com if you want a peek 🙂